Make your partner feel loved and special by surprising her on Valentine’s Day. Seize this day!
A simple family outing during Valentine’s Day will is a great way to bond with each other and show love for one another
It’s the time of the year again where streets are flocked with flower vendors, stores and shops are filled with people looking for gifts for their significant others, and everyone else keeps exchanging I love you. What date is it again? Oh yes, right. It’s Valentine’s Day– the day of hearts. The day of expressively showing your love and affection to someone whom you look forward of seeing every day. Simply put, Valentine’s Day has been tagged as a day for lovers, and everyone who is and has been in love.
Though Valentine’s Day is really for lovers and lovers alike, the celebration is not limited to them alone. Valentine’s Day is all about love, but not just for intimate lovers. Love is the center of the universe, as they say. It makes the world go round; it adds color to everybody’s life. Therefore, Valentine’s Day is best celebrated with the people whom you truly love and care—your family, friends, colleagues and special someone. It will be more special and meaningful if you can spread love and happiness, not just to your significant other, but to others as well. A simple gesture of love like cooking something special for the whole family and giving non-expensive but sincere gifts to your family is already a manifestation of love. To most people, giving chocolates, flowers and stuffed toys are already their declaration of love. But little did they know that there are still some other things that you can try to express your love to someone. Whether you are married, in a relationship, single or in any other relationship status, you can always express your feelings through varied and unique ways. Most people would treat their family or significant others to some places where they can bond and enjoy. They buy them gifts that would signify their love for each other. They would have dinner and have a romantic moment in a restaurant or in a yacht (where they would rent some space and have both of you or your family serenaded by a group of singers). Dining in an expensive restaurant seems like a very generous thing to do to your boyfriend/girlfriend or to your husband or wife. But no matter how romantic a candle light dinner in a first class restaurant may look like, nothing can beat a cozy and simple Valentines celebration with your family. Where else will you celebrate it, but in the comforts of your home.
There’s nothing wrong in veering away from the traditional red roses and chocolates and romantic dinners during the Valentine’s season. After all, it’s a tried and tested thing. However, coming up with more unique ideas to celebrate this occasion are always a good thing. Instead also of just celebrating it with just the two of you, why not involve the kids in coming up with activities that would make them realize the importance of Valentine’s Day, and at the same time, bring out the creativity in them. Valentine’s Day is a perfect opportunity not just to teach your kids the meaning and value of love within your own family, but also to teach them how to show kindness towards others. To make Valentine’s Day a more ‘family-ish’ occasion, here are some activities that you and your whole family ought to love.
1. Eat, Pray, Love…. literally
– Yes, you got it right. It is the title of the best-selling book by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is the author’s memoir of her travels and experiences in search for herself after her divorce. It was also adapted into a movie last 2010 starring Julia Roberts. So much about the film, but really, your family can eat, pray and love, literally. You can show your kids your culinary expertise and make the greatest dish ever. You can experiment on various ingredients and come up with a dish that would not only satisfy your tummies, but will also make an impact on your heart (how cheesy!). But on a more serious note, bonding in the kitchen is a great way of knowing each other– you, your partner and your kids. They say that happy and contented hearts make the best food, so go ahead, have some little family time on your kitchen and delight each other with your specialty. Of course, we should thank Him for His grace, mercy and love. We should always say our prayers to Him and thank Him for a great night, and for a great life. Of course, the reason why there is Valentine’s Day is to emphasize that indeed, people are capable of loving someone and be loved. Spread those cheese and sauce on your meal, but also never forget to spread love.
Enjoy a sumptuous dinner with the whole family and make Valentine’s Day a day to remember
2. Sine banig with the family
– Filipinos really love to watch movies, specifically those with a theme of romance and comedy. They go to movie houses and enjoy the rest of the film with their special someone, friends or family. But instead of splurging your money for a movie ticket for five, why not pull your banig (Filipinos’ version of sleeping foam, only without its soft features) under your bed, prepare the DVD player and a pile of CD of your favorite movies and make some popcorn or hotdog? Presto! You now have a home theater of your own! It’s a family’s movie date night so make sure to watch movies that will not only entertain you, but will also teach some good manners and values to your kids. It’s a great way of bonding with your family on a Valentine’s Day, without having to spend too much.
Movie bonding at home with family is the most relaxing moment (photo not ours)
3. Share your love
– Too cliché as it may sound, but yes, we have to share love. Together with our family, we can always gather around and go to the nearest community shelter where we can do some feeding programs, outreach programs, or simply book reading to some kids. Our donations may not always be in a monetary form, but we surely showed our love and care to the people who have been affected by some major natural and man-made disasters in the country. Doing so creates a win-win effect: You made them happy and special, even just for a short period of time, and they made you realize that indeed, life is great, and we have to treasure whatever we have before it’s too late.
4. My Valentine Monito
-Ah, yes. It’s like the counterpart of the Christmas monito monita wherein the name that we will be picking will be our monito or monita and he/she will have that special gift from ours. How exciting! We know the drill of course; we pick a name, hide it from anyone else and give a gift according to the theme of the day. But since it’s Valentine’s Day, the gift should be something related in showing love. It’s your choice after all, but never forget to make your Monita/Monito smile when he/she receives that gift from you 🙂
A simple heart-shaped cookie will surely put a smile on whoever is your Valentine monito/monita (photo not ours)
5. Tree of love
– Put some Valentines spirit on your home. Decorate it with hearts and cupids and hang it on your walls and doors. Redecorate your rooms with a splash of Valentine colors (red or pink) in your bed sheets, curtains, coffee table covers and even the paint on your wall, and put on some fresh flowers on the vase for a more aromatic ambience. If you’re feeling creative and childish at the same time, have some heart and cupid cut-outs on red construction paper and have it decorated on your walls or doors, or anywhere that can be seen. You can also put a variation of Christmas tree, the so called Love Tree. Instead of Christmas balls and garlands, have this tree decorated with hearts, hearts and more hearts, and sprinkle it with glitters and put some family photos and finish it with pink lights for a more arriving look. Put your gifts under this tree and make sure to celebrate Valentine’s Day in the most memorable way.
A sample Love Tree composed of hearts, hearts, hearts and some sparkling lights (photo not ours)
A sample heart-shaped cutouts that can be hang on the wall or doors or aisles on your home during the Valentine season (photos not ours)
No matter what gimmicks you have in mind for this special occasion, just make sure that we are celebrating it because of love. It doesn’t matter whether we are with our family, friends or special someone, for as long as we are happy and we are loved, our Valentine’s Day will be as great as having a person holding our hand.
Have a picnic with your whole family during Valentine’s. Just for a change 🙂